Friday, November 11, 2011

My first Contemptor Dread, and Table part 2

So my table is coming along now at a slower pace.  I have the basic layout done, and before I can do much more, I need to get all the terrain secured on the table.  With that said, I have a continuation of the step-by-step for the board, some pictures of more terrain I am working on for it, as well as some pictures of how my first Contemptor Dread is coming along!

So I'll start off now with the more interesting stuff, which in my opinion is the Dread!  This is my first attempt at painting me some battle damage using a sponge, so I think all things considered it came out rather well.  I also used some transfers, which is something I tend to shy away from.  Without further adue, here he is:

I magnetized the arms on these guys so that I can switch around the weapons as needed, and this gives you a pretty good idea of how I ended up magnetizing them.  Also, there is a faded transfer on the knee plate that he is kneeling on, and while subtle, I like how that came out.

Here is a shot from the side which shows the other transfer.  I plan to number my squads and everything, so accordingly, this guy is number 1.

And here are the power fists attached to give you an idea of how this is going to look.  Right now they are primered and base coated with a dark red.  I'll possibly finish them tomorrow if I feel squirrely enough.  I love how all the joints on these models can be positioned to the modelers fancy.  I know I have said it before, but you won't see this on a standard GW Dread.

Now on to the table!  I believe we left off last time with the canals being spackled.  Well, the next step from there was to get them painted a color that resembles the Ballast I will be using for the table.  Here's what that looks like.

I didn't need to cover up all of the Spackle, as there will be Ballast running all the way up to the edge, but this will look nice once I get everything down.  After this, I can finally lay down my bridges.  To make these, I simply cut some Balsa wood into 12 inch pieces, and I had made sure that the wood was wide enough for a Land Raider when I purchased it as well.  To secure the pieces, I put down some wood glue along the edges, and then used four screws per piece to really ensure that they go nowhere!

As you can see, I made sure to measure and draw guide lines along the table before I placed these.  I want these roads to look snazzy, so I take extra care in my measurements.  After this, it is now time to build the roads themselves!  For this, I used some stuff from my local Hobbytown that is used to make concrete for model train set ups.  It's basically a simple plaster, with two cups of the powder to every cup of water.  To make two roads, I ended up using just under two containers of the stuff.  To line up my rods correctly, I used Paving Line, which I also bought from Hobbytown, and it's basically a foam sticker roll that you use as guide lines for creating the roads.  Once the plaster dries, it pulls up easily, leaving you wonderfully straight lines!

Here you can see the left roads is done, with the right one still drying.  The white stuff hanging off the end of the table on the right is the Paving Line I was talking about.  I hung some over the edge to ensure that I could pull it off easily once dry.

Here is a close up of a bridge on the left side.  The plaster easily covered up the screw holes on the bridge, and while the road is a little lumpy, I made it look nice and purdy with a sanding block, since the stuff sands down easily enough once fully dry.

Here is a close up of the right side drying.  Notice the Paving Tape along the road.  I had to stack it two high to get the depth for the road I wanted, but it came out perfect in the end.

And here is the final product after drying and pull off the Paving Tape.  Next I needed to paint the plaster, and lucky me, the same company that makes the plaster and the Paving Tape makes a "pavement" colored paint to go along with it.  I'll need to do some stippling of sponging to get the correct look to it, but it is a great start with just this one coat.

I'll need to do some touch up painting on the canals as well, but now that I finally got my airbrush in, it should be VERY quick to clean up.  Anyways, that's where I stand with the table, so how about that terrain I mention.  I already posted a picture of the ruined tower I'm painting up, and the sand in there is just a place holder.  To represent that it has been ruined for a while, I'm going to have some Ballast in between the rocks in there once I am done.  Since sand from Walmart is much cheaper than Ballast, I used sand to fill it up to the top.  I also tried my hand at making a patina effect in the middle, and I'm rather pleased with the outcome.  Here is another pic as well.

I sponged some bright gold and dark grey onto the red and off-white tiles in the middle to give it a sort of marble effect, and I like how that came out as well.  Some cooler stuff I will be adding to the table however is a pair of plaster ruined space marine statues I picked up on eBay last year that I have been trying to find a use for.

I think I paid just over $20 for the pair, and I'm trying to figure out where to stick them now.  They are going to be painted in the same manner as the ruins, with the multiple shades of gray.  Anyhow, that's all for now, so enjoy and feel free to comment on any of this.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment