Sunday, June 30, 2013

So Apocalypse showed up...and now I'm broke

So the new Apocalypse is soon to be upon us, and I went on a spending spree of epic proportions!  For starters, I ordered the following new items:

The Apocalypse Collectors Edition
1 Khorne Lord of Skulls
1 set of the new templates
1 set of the AdMech dice, the 125 dice set
1 Vortex Template

That ran me a decent amount, but nothing I wasn't already bracing to spend anyways.  However, after finally finding the apocalypse formations on the website (which may or may not have taken me longer to find than it should have...) I saw my dream of fielding an entire Space Wolf Great Company become a reality!!!

I didn't actually buy the $1000+ one-click scam from GW, but instead shopped around locally, emptied the SW selection from various FLGS (including the one I run), and begrudgingly ordered a few blisters from GW's website.  All said and done, I ended up with 4 drop pods that aren't even part of the formation, 3 extra scout squads, and a Wolf Lord on Thunder Wolf for roughly $900!!!  So quite a few extra models for over $100 cheaper.  Yay me.  Now I am off to figure out how to hide this purchase from my wife...if I don't post again in the next month, call a Life Guard for me.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The board and some other models that have had my attention as of late!

So here is where the board is at.  It's coming right along, with some Summer Leaves, and I have also started doing the bases to go along with it.  Once the 28mm bases are down, then I just have to paint the models...yay me.

As for the rest of these pictures, these were all taken with my phone, so bare with me on the quality here.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I fixed the board somewhat...

So here is what the board looks like now that I fixed it.  I'm happier with this than I am with how the train wreck prior came out, but still angry, haha.  I added some grass clumps sporadically around, and I have some leaves from Secret Weapon Miniatures as well to add, but I need to figure out what I am going to do with those.  I bought their Fallen Leaves - Fall Mix, which has a beautiful color that I REALLY wanted to use, but the board turned out much lighter than I imagined, and I'm actually rather please with the general color scheme.  They have some lighter colors that I coincidentally carry in my store, so I might have to snag one or two of those and try them out.

I based this with a dark brown from Minitaire Airbrush Paint, and then I used Dark Earth, Clay Brown, and Burning Sands pigments from Secret Weapon Miniatures in successively lighter dustings.  I love working with their pigments, and a project of this size gave me a LOT of practice on using the pigments.

For the trench line I based the bottom with a dark grey, followed by a dark wash, and then any dirt colored pigments settle where they may.  This allowed it to get dusty and dirty in a manner that appeared random as opposed to something that would have looked too forced.  Once the wash was dry, I dipped my finger in SWM's Metallic Iron pigment just enough to get some on my finger tip, and then I rubbed my finger pretty forcefully across the floor of the trench to pick out the raised edges and the nuts and bolts with a metallic tinge, since they would have been worn to a more metallic sheen through continuous use.

Anyways, this is what I am working on hobby wise, and I am also putting together an 1850 Ork list to break up the monotony of doing clean color schemes.  Here is what I am in the process of building:

Wazdakka Gutsmek

10 Lootas
10 Lootas

6 Warbikers with Nob w/ Big Choppa
6 Warbikers with Nob w/ Big Choppa
6 Warbikers with Nob w/ Big Choppa
6 Warbikers with Nob w/ Big Choppa


Battlewagon w/ Killakannon
Battlewagon w/ Killakannon

So that's my 1850 list.  Terribly exciting, I know, but I think it should play well enough.  The 4+ cover saves on the bike are silly, as are the number of shots I can throw out a turn.  Anyways, I need to finish my work for the day, so I'll post again soon...ish.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

So, being impatient is a bad idea

So I am working on a display board, and I was gonna wait until it was mostly done before posting any pictures.  Mostly done came yesterday, and I got done using about $40 worth of pigments to make the dirt look real.  I was sooooooo excited that I instantly wanted to Matte Varnish it.  One problem: I forgot to let all the pigment sealer dry.  Do yeah, this disgusting mess above is what happened afterwards.  Yay me.  Back to buying more pigment and starting over.  

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Apocalypse next month!

I stole these from Blood of Kittens' Facebook.  I cannot WAIT to see what else is coming out!