Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Warhound Titan legs done after some mishaps...

So yes, it only took me a few weeks to do the legs properly, but they are done finally.  For those of you not tracking, I am doing a heavily Forge World filled Nurgle army for shits and giggles, so this is the center piece.  That little fact also adds some sense as to what's with all the rust.  Now you know.  But read below for more pics, and the story about how I almost went ape-shit on Army Painter!

So there is the all seeing eye of the Titan.  Hand painted with a professional unprofessionalism!  That was also the test piece for the rust effects, and I liked it so I went for it.

Left shin guard, all rusty and dirty!

And that of course would be the left shin guard. 

Now, onto my mishap that made me almost cry.  I actually finished this portion of painting several days ago.  It looked BEAUTIFUL (although, it wasn't as rusty and it seemed more painted on that actually rusty, so that worked out in the end) so I went to matte varnish it, both to protect the model and to seal on the weathering powders.  But guess what?  Sometimes the God's of wargaming shit in your cheerios.  And what a shit it was.  When I spayed on the Army Painter Matte Varnish (which I have been using for years without an issue) it turned the whole model a milky grey....instant anger.  I repainted it, and re-weathered it, and again with the goop all over the model.  At this point I was about to loose all detail on the model, but since I paint thin enough I had the chance for one more shot.  I repainted, re-weathered, and before spraying it, I did 2 days of research to find out what the hell was going on.

On the back of the can it says this: "If your spray area is too cold, you risk a 'milky glaze' on your models.  This is common for all types of varnish.  Spray in room temperature."  I have been spraying outside in the 80-90 degree heat during the day, so that was of little help at the time.  It came into play later, when a local gamer at my FLGS had the solution.  The cold area it refers to doesn't just apply to the model, it applies to the can.  Anyone who has used an air duster knows that when you spray too long, the can gets cold as hell.  While not too that extreme, spray paint cans can do the same thing, only it doesn't freeze outright.  What can happen, and this was my problem, is that some cans can be TOO pressurized, whether from over filling at the factory, or elevation changes from where it was made to where you use it.  The simple solution, which made me mad as hell I didn't look for the answer after the first screw up, was to turn the can upside down and spray non-stop until it was a perfectly clear stream.  I then winced as I spayed the legs, and to my surprise and joy, it worked.

Hopefully that story will save somebodies model in the future, and if not, hopefully it will at least make you chuckle at my stupidity.  Now that that episode is over however, I can move on to the upper body, which will be the next piece in this project.  I have it almost separated into the pieces in came in so it will be easier to paint, so this should be the "fun" part.  Until next time though, check out the new Dark Eldar pre-orders that are up.  I intend to buy me some just to paint, so I might even have to steal the Black Box this weekend to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment