Thursday, February 19, 2015

Horus Heresy: Drop Assault launched yesterday on Android


I've been following this game on Facebook for a while now, and a few of my friends had it on their iPhones (since it launched early on the iTunes store), so I was pretty excited when I got an email yesterdat stating that it had finally launched on Android.  I picked it up shortly after, and had a pretty good time playing it while laying on my couch.

In a broad comparison, it's very similar to Clash of Clans, or just about every other base defense game on the market.  You start by getting a brief description of what's going on in the Galaxy, Istivaan III, etc, and then you're asked if you want to be a loyalist or a traitor marine.  Pretty cool so far, right?  I chose to be a traitor, and then right away Angron comes on my screen all angry like and what have you.  You go through the basic tutorial, and you get the sense quickly that it requires quite a bit more strategy than other games in it's genre that I have tried.  There a lot of different support features, such as orbital strikes, virus bombs, and a slew of other cool toys to play with, but the main one that stands out is an ability that lets you control your troops after they have been deployed.  It may not seem like a big deal, but for those of you who have played other games in the genre, you usually just drop your dudes in and hope to God for them to do kinda what you were thinking.

Now, the game does have a micro-transaction store to it, and like every other game similar to it, you use the in game credit to speed things up instead of waiting 5 minutes for your troops to build, or 3 hours for your building to upgrade, so nothing new on that front.  At the low levels, a few dollars goes a LONG way, but the cost escalates quickly.

All said and done, I'm pretty happy with where the game is, and while their are a few moments where the game bugs out on me, nothing game breaking or major has happened so I can deal with it.  If I had to rate this on a 5 star system, I'd give it a solid 4 stars, but a lot of that might have to do with me being a 40K fan boy at heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment