Sunday, October 7, 2012

Getting my Chaos on!


So with the release of Chaos over the weekend, I have been a busy man!  In all honesty, I have been mildly busy with Chaos anyways, but this has been the motivation I needed to get me back on the right track.  I haven't posted in a while due to general laziness, followed by finals, followed then by Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and the new WoW xpac (don't judge me...).  I am, however, back at it!  This post will hopefully show all of you what I have been up to, and what the future holds for me.
So if you're wondering what is up with the model up top, that is the Warpsmith for my Death Guard army.  My DG will be my first Chaos army, so it gets all the new toys first!  The problem is, however, that all of my marines are fatties, so this guy needed to match.  A spare Death Guard torso I had laying around, a power scythe from the bits box, and some green stuff solved that problem quickly!  I have left the tentacles off to paint so that I can get the details easier, but rest assured, they will be there. 

As is the case with my previous Death Guard models, I am painting the whole thing brown, sponging on rust colors, rusting with pigments, and then starting from there.  After that is all done, I sponge on liquid silicone, then I airbrush the 3 colors for the armour, then wash with Secret Weapons Baby Poop wash, and then peel off the silicone to create a random chipping effect on the armour, with the rust underneath showing through.  It's some what of an exhausting process, but it looks fantastic, so I suck it up and drive on.  Here is where I stand on that process.


It's really hard to make out the details at the moment, but I assure you it actually looks rather good.  It's shiny at the moment due to the brown ink I used to darken it all up, but that will all be gone once I matte varnish everything.  Here is his little pet that I bought to go along with him.  This is the first kit of many that I plan to buy of these guys.  I love the look behind them, whether or not they are any good.  We'll see though, they may just end up surprising me some time.



As for other stuff I have been working on, here is a commission I am currently doing for a friend.  It's almost done, but there is SOOOOO much gold to be painted, and then dulled down, and then highlighted again...but it looks great.  This is a WIP, but I will have good pictures up when it gets done.


Finally, I have 4 squads of Plaguebearers to paint, so I did a wash comparison for what works best for Nurgle.  I used Baby Poop wash from Secret Weapon Miniatures, and Devlan Mud, Ogre Flesh, and Badab Black from GW.  Here are the results of how that came out.


This is the Baby Poop from SWM.  Personally, I think this came out the best and it's what I plan to use exclusively from now on.


This is the Devlan Mud from GW.  Not really a bad color, but it stained the flesh in a way that I wasn't hoping for :( 


Next we have the Badab Black.  This one set in the recesses nicely enough, but it also darkened the whole thing way more than I wanted.  It's nothing a dry brush of olive green won't fix, but it's extra work I don't want to do.


Finally we have the Ogre Flesh.  It really looks like nothing was washed onto it.  The color really gets lost in the greens I used...


Here is a side by side of all four tests I did.  In my opinion, SWM's Baby Poop won, and I already ordered several bottles of their washes for this army and my other army I will work on once these are done.  I picked up 3 limited edition Dark Vengeance kits, and I traded the Dark Angels for more Chaos, so I now have 6 sets to work with.  I don't actually plan to use any of the models in this army, however, as I am going to build an Alpha Legion army after this is done, so those will look great in there. 

Anyways, I am off to bed, so thanks to those of you who came back to read this after my month long hiatus.  Like I always promise, I will try to post more frequently, and if you have any bitches, gripes, or complaints, feel free to comment below!
 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I especially like how those plaguebearers are coming along. That's a really hideous shade of green. As it should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I have 20 of the metal ones, and 20 of the new plastics, so it's a nice mix.

      Delete