Friday, February 3, 2012

A how to! Destroyers done quickly.

So today I was bored and I decided to finally do a How To on how I paint my Necrons.  I made some last minute changes to my 500 point list, so I needed 2 Destroyers painted in a hurry, and I had 3 built already, so the last guy got lucky and I painted him anyways.  Check below for the multitude of pictures I took during the process!

Okay, to start, here are the paints I used, with the exception of The Army Painters Platemail Metal, which is what I primer my Necrons with.  I follow that with a healthy wash of GW's Badab Black, and then the fun starts.

These are the colors I use for my Necrons.  The metallic on the left is what I use to touch up anywhere on the metal I screw up, since it is a darker silver it usually blends well enough with the post-washed silver I prime with.  The metallic is Reaper, with the others being Vallejo.

Here is what I had done before taking the pictures.  I painted all the armor on the Destroyers with the Burnt Cad. Red, and I primered the rods black.  I primer and paint the first color on these separately to ensure that they get fully colored and no green plastic shows through, and to also ensure that it is distinctly separate from the gun, because the other layers of paint might fill the gap.

Next I loaded my airbrush with the Clear Orange.  I painted the rods, with nothing special being done there, and then moved onto the models themselves.  I use this color as the "glow" from all the hot spots on the model like eyes, crests, vents, etc.  This color is applied rather liberally around these spots, focusing on a soft over spray around them and not as much on the actual parts themselves.  For things like the eyes and cables, you need to be careful and be realistic with the over spray - eyes aren't going to glow for like 10 feet.  Just apply locally.

After that it's time to glue the rods in.  I just put the spot that gets cut from the sprue directly against the model, so that there are no unpainted spots on there.  Now with those in place, it's time to move on to the next color.

Now I load the gun up with Light Orange, and all you do here is spray inside of the areas where you did the "glow".  This is going to be more of the direct glow from whatever part you're painting.  You want it to be closer to the spot itself, and ensure that you leave plenty of the darker color on the outside.  For the cables, I try to color only the top parts, leaving the bottom, sides, etc, the darker color.  For the rods, make sure to leave the edges of them the darker color, and throw some over spray lightly around the edges of the rod to create the "glow" there.

For my next color I jump straight to the Light Yellow.  This is used for all the highlights.  It should be used rather sparingly compared to the other colors.  I don't touch the eyes with this, and I barely touch the crests on the chests.  The rods should only be slightly sprayed in the center, and do the same with all cables.  If done right, you should have a decent enough fade.  The trick to doing this right is using a light spray from you gun and use barely any on the edges while progressively doing several layers as I get closer to the center.  It's not hard, but may require some practice before hand.

After that all is left is some small amounts of brush work.  I use Light Yellow straight from the dropper and barely dot the eyes, paint the symbol on the crest, and LIGHTLY dry brush the vents on the back of the gun so that it looks like they are the parts generating the light back there. 

Now you just base to your preference.  These guys are being doing some what hastily by me, so I went very basic with the basing, using some black basing material with snow on top.  To do the snow, I first mix PVA glue with a bit of white paint, about 1 part paint to every 8 parts glue.  This ensures that if you somehow have a spot of glue with no snow on it, it still looks white and not that translucent grey.  I then mix in about an equal part of snow, and then apply this to wherever I need to on the base.  After that, I dip the entire base into my container of snow to add that little bit of fluff and not the "I just applied this with a blunt object" look to it.

All said and done, this took me about 3 hours, MAYBE, and that's including eating food, trolling Facebook, and making more coffee.  It's a fairly simple process, that is easily done, and can be replicated with just about any color combination. 

Anyways, I am hopefully going to get a game in this weekend, as my league started Wednesday, but it is snowing like a beast here in Colorado so we'll see.  Thanks for reading and feel free to leave and bitches, gripes, and complaints below!

No comments:

Post a Comment